The mission of the UCR’s Green Labs group is to promote the reduction of the energy and resource waste created by laboratories at UCR without disturbing the objectives of research. Green Labs works with lab managers, principal investigators, as well as students working in labs, to guide their laboratories into becoming energy efficient and sustainable.
- Educate lab personnel on lab waste and sustainable agriculture
- Understand barriers to green lab practice
- Offer easy and effortless options to reduce waste with little buy-in from researchers
- Empower researchers to be strong advocates for sustainability
- Create lab space that promotes sustainable practices.
- Building wide interactive workshops for educating and discussing green labs and barriers to sustainable science
- Sustainable Science online modules in collaboration with EH&S
- Green Labs certification program
- Reducing Material Waste (Sharing program, don’t buy in bulk)
- North American Freezer Challenge
- Incentives for participants at every level
Why Make Your Lab a Green Lab?
- Reduces waste, energy, and water consumption
- Improves environmental and personal health
- Prolongs equipment life and reduces equipment failures
- Saves money
Steps to making your lab a Green Lab:
- Pre-Assessment Certification
- Implementing Green Lab Practices
- Post-Assessment Certification
- Certification Ceremony
We are now offering up to $2,500 to eligible labs to assist with equipment replacement!
- Replace old equipment
- Save energy
- Reduce emissions
- Enrollment in Green Labs certification process
- All labs (wet or dry) can apply!
- Equipment must be certified by one of the following:
Just fill out the Green Labs Interest Form to apply!
Funding eligibility will be determined by Green Labs shortly after submission.
Any questions about our Incentive Program can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition to our in-house laboratory certification program, the Green Labs team is also involved in additional projects that aim to promote sustainability efforts within labs:
Glove Recycling Program
Autoclave Efficiency Research Study
Ultra-Low Temperature (ULT) Freezer Efficiency Research Study
International Freezer Challenge
UCR Green Labs References and Resources
UCR Office of Sustainability
Phone Number: (951) 827-6558
UCR Environmental Health and Safety
Phone Number: https://ehs.ucr.edu/about/whodoicall.html
Infographics for Your Labs
Sustainability in Lab