UC Riverside is committed to achieve Carbon Neutrality by 2025, using a combination of infrastructure solutions and operational strategies to get there.
COOL CAMPUS CHALLENGE 2019
The Cool Campus Challenge is a friendly 4-week challenge designed to educate and motivate the University of California campus community to take simple energy-saving, waste reducing and sustainability-focused actions to lower their carbon footprint and help the UC system reach carbon neutrality by 2025.
To achieve carbon neutrality by 2025, we need to expand our energy efficiency efforts and dramatically increase the use of energy from renewable sources. Along with our efforts, needed items include numerous LED lighting conversions, HVAC upgrades, and research equipment replacements to improve energy efficiencies and reduce energy consumption. In the past, UCR has added over 3.5 MW of solar, and plans to expand to over 13 MW (megawatts). The solar - coupled with thermal energy storage and battery storage - will significantly help in the cost of the campus' electric load.
GHG emission sources include non‐residential buildings, residential buildings, on‐site and off‐site transportation, and agricultural research activities. The three "scopes" for GHG accounting and reporting purposes are defined below:
• Scope 1 – Direct Emissions: emissions generated by on‐campus stationary combustion of fossil fuels, mobile combustion of fossil fuels by institution owned/controlled vehicles, and fugitive emissions
(natural gas combustion, campus fleet, refrigeration)
• Scope 2 – Indirect Emissions (electricity): emissions generated in the production of electricity consumed by the institution (purchased electricity and/or purchased steam)
• Scope 3 – Indirect Emissions (other): Other indirect emissions generated by institution‐related activities (business air travel, student commute, faculty/staff commute).
Key Contribution Areas:
- Energy Services
- Applied Research
- Campus and Medical center climate action plans
- Sustainability Policy
- Faculty/Student Engagement
- Health and Science services
- Financial Strategies
- Communications and Political Advocacy
Stay updated with our Instagram!